Published On: Thu, Jul 22nd, 2021

Florida Condo Collapse Victims to Receive $150 Million In Initial Compensation: Judge

Cirtrus.com: Save 10% on Citrus trees with code CITRUS
Share This
Tags

A Florida judge said Wednesday that victims and families who suffered losses in last month’s collapse of a 12-story condominium in Surfside would get at least $150 million in compensation initially. Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Michael Hanzman said at a hearing that around $50 million would come from insurance on the Champlain Towers South building, whose collapse on June 24 left at least 97 people dead. The judge said that another $100 million at least would come from the sale of the oceanfront property where the condo once stood. “The court’s concern has always been the victims here,” Hanzman said, adding that the group includes visitors and renters, not just condo owners. “Their rights will be protected.” Hanzman said the $150 million does not include any proceeds from the numerous lawsuits filed since the collapse, which are being consolidated into a single class action. “I have no doubt, no stone will be …

About the Author

-